What I Have Been Up To These Two Weeks

Nothing much, really. I've had a serious cold and apparent Post-Christmas Stress Disorder (which is more like I Need Someone to Clean this Mess Up kind of disorder), too, and I have achieved very little.

Ei täällä mitään ole saatu aikaseks. Nuppi on ollu täynnä räntää ja sohjoa viimiset kaks viikkoa lentsun ja joulunjälkeisenstressin kourissa, neulepuolella olen just ja just Icaruksen saanu väännettyä. Ei paljon mistä paukutella henkisiä henkseleitä, mutta aivan viehko huivi siitä tuli.

Well, there one Icarus, which isn't much to shout about. I used some left-over yarn and a good pattern, and can take credit only for following the instructions which was the only thing I managed while the only thing keeping me sane was NyQuil. But the shawl is very pretty.
icarus 5

icarus 3

icarus 2
ETA: The shawl is knitted with #7 (4,5 mm) needles and two colors of KnitPicks Palette, Marine Heather (darker blue) and Calypso Heather. I ended up using 1,5 balls of Palette in Calypso Heather after I ran out of Marine Heather. The color contrast was rather sharp so I used some blue acid dye when I soaked the shawl and I think it came out rather pretty. The shawl measures 46" x 90" (117 cm x 228 cm) so it is quite big, and I used almost exactly 4 balls (or 7 oz) and 920 yards of yarn.

Edit: Mie käytin tähän nelisen kerää lankaa, 1,5 kerää vaaleampaa ja tummaa sen mitä kaapista löytyi Ilmarisen jälkeen. Huivi painaa melko tarkkaan 200g, ja pingotin sen noin 117 cm x 228 cm mittoihin, eli reilun kokonen huivi on. Ihan originaalivärit huivissa ei ole, heitin huivin likoamaan siniseen väriaineeseen ennen pingotusta, että lankojen värinen ero vähän tasoittuisi. Oikein hyvä tuli, ja lämmin.

(Apparently not all of the meds were out of my system when my friend took pics of my shawl. She made me laugh hysterically, and
one accident photo* made it even to Flickr. Click with caution.)
*I realize that this picture may shatter any images you have of the serene and not-hideously (med journal type)-ugly me. But the world needs us Quasimodos, too, right?

Kuvasession yhteydessä Vieraileva Kuvaaja nauratti sirkeää mallia ja yks vahingonlaukauskin pääsi mukaan. Kilkkaa omalla vastuulla, elä piä juomia näppiksen likellä. (Mulla on tommonen rumempikin puoli joka ei usein pääse kuviin, paitsi aina, mutta maailmassahan pittää olla meitä einiinkauniitakin.)

Speaking of NyQuil, 'tis strong stuff. After one dose, I saw all the pretty colors of the rainbow!
rainbow
This beautiful Estonian wool was supposed to become AnneM's Revontuli Shawl, but I had too big needles, and this combined with my inability to follow any instructions, I ended up frogging the beginning of the shawl. I like the pattern, though, so I will reknit it eventually.

Mie lentsulääkepöhnässä koitin Revontultaki tikutella, mutta siitä ei tullu ko sanomista. Liian isot tikut + ja huono ohjeenlukija = huivi sammakkolammella ja uusi yritys myöhemmin.

My cold is over, so I don't see the colors anymore. Now, I'm stuck with shades of purple. And would you look at them!

Uutta pukkaa, tästä myöhemmin jos tää toimii ees jotenkin. Pelkkä purppuriainen väri on jo ilonaihe kyllä, nätit on sävyt.

wota garnet
A cardi for me, more of this later if my idea actually works. (The yarn is Wool of the Andes Garnet Heather.)

Ja vähän sukkailoittelujakin, oli niin nätti väri tässä Trekkingissä:
trekking sukka
And some socks, I just couldn't resist the colors. Pattern is mine, extremely simple st st stripes combined with some seed st stripes and I think it works nicely. I'll try to knit a French Heel for these (essentially it'll be the heel in Baudelaire Socks but slightly modified), but these take forever to knit as the Options needles are very sharp and my poor fingers start to hurt. I do love the needles, though - and I adore the colors. The yarn is Zitron Trekking XXL, colorway 76.

Over the past few days, my blog - to my utter surprise - received several You Make My Day Awards. I have been amazed and deeply grateful for every single of them, so thank you Hemuli, MakePeace, Talutin, Krista äiti ja täti, Ilu, katjaii and Pirkko! I couldn't make up my mind and nominate my favorite blogs, but I enjoy several blogs and they all make my day. :)

Kuulema teen monelle mukavan päivän. Olemme hämmentyneitä ja perin kiitollisia näistä kunniamaininnoista, kiitoksia kovasti. En osaa nimetä mun päivän tekijöitä, koko blogikierros kuuluu aamurutiineihin kahvikupin lomassa joten ilman koko suosikkiläjää en pääsis ees käyntiin, kiits siitä teille :)

Ilu also tagged me with Favorite Yarns meme. And I'm not a big fan of memes but this one was cool, so here goes.

Umm.. Well, I must admit I'm a yarn novice. I am very much stuck with KnitPicks yarns, especially Wool of the Andes and Telemark, but there is a good reason for me to like them: they're extremely versatile. Also, the colorcard is amazing, there are so many brilliant colors, and the yarn is cheap. For the same reason I absolutely love their Palette, it is soft and pretty and perfect for stranded projects.

Also, I think there is a time and a place for most yarns. For example, variegated yarns do not really work with lace, in my opinion, and handwash wool may not be the best yarn for kid's garments. If a yarn is used in a way that complements the texture and colors of the yarn, it will probably become a favorite, because the garment is a favorite. So, if used properly, I am a big fan of Novita's mercerized cottons, because they look nice, knit up nicely and especially Kotiväki will last forever. They also take dyes beautifully, which is good, as Novita's colorcard has only a few colors and mostly the colors are not to my taste.

I also like Finnish yarns a lot, especially Pirtin Kehräämö yarns and Pirkka yarns. They're well-priced, have a wide range of colors and they're fingering weight wool so I would use them a lot more if I could just get them. They, just like all the mentioned yarns, are something I can buy limitless quantities without even thinking about it, without a project in mind, and that's what makes a favorite yarn to me. :)

Ilu nakkasi myös suosikkilankameemillä. Mie jotakin riipustin tuohon kolmannella kotimaisella, vanhoja tuttujahan sieltä löytyy nitpiksistä Pirkkalankaan :)

15 comments:

Pirkko said...

Sinä piristät minunkin päivääni. Kiitos :)

Pirkko said...

Piti vielä sanomani, että varsinkin tuolla viimeisimmällä kuvalla :D

Agnes said...

I love the way you wear the shawl in the second picture ... you may change my mind about triangular shawl!
That Trekking XXL colour is beautiful ... I may consider using it if I am going to make Abotanicity from Knitty 08Winter. I like quality yarns of reasonable prices. I am glad to know that so many people think Palette is of good quality.
Do you buy Finnish yarns here in the US? I don't think there are too many sources here.
Take care.

Tuulia said...

pirkko: kiitos :)

agnes: that's the way I used to wear shawls back home, and I wore shawls quite often, to protect my neck from cold air.

I do think Palette is a quality yarn. I was lucky enough to get some Jamieson's Ultra and I think Palette is very close to it as far as texture and quality goes. The only thing Palette lacks is a wider range of heathered and "natural" colors (such as natural greys) but it is very well priced and fun to work with.

Sadly, I haven't found a place that would sell Finnish yarns. I am lucky to have several friends in the Finnish knitbloggers' community who are generous enough to send me those little things I miss most - Finnish candy, Finnish rye bread, and Finnish yarn :)

Anonymous said...

Hei, olen lukenut blogiasi jo useamman kuukauden ajan, vaikka en ole tainnut aiemmin kommentoidakaan. Asun Tampereella, ja pääsen kyllä helposti käsiksi ohueen Pirkkalankaan. Voisin mielelläni lähettää sulle kyseistä lankaa, jos annat vinkkiä, mistä väreistä olisit kiinnostunut, ja minkälaisissa määrissä, ja tietysti tarvitsen osoitetietosi myös :) Olen tavoitettavissa sähköpostiosoitteesta ignorant.bliss@gmail.com

janna said...

Ihan söpö ilme siellä.
Hurjan kokoinen Icarus, vai oletko vain pikkuinen itse? ;)

Kaunis tuo Trekkinki kyllä.

kasiaiscarly said...

The cardi and sock colors are to die for!

Makepeace75 said...

Haa, olethan sä vielä sielä. :o) Hieno on Icarus, pitäisi joskus tuota(kin) kokeilla -niinkuin miljoonaa muutakin huivia. Hupaisa virnukuva. ;D

Vilma said...

Oi mikä Icarus, iso on. Ja se virnekuva on mahtava, kiitos vaan päivänsäteelle! :D

WeirdRockStar said...

Howdy!
Hienon hienoja lankoja ja töitä.
You make my day

marsu said...

Vahingonlaukaus on paras kuva, laitappas se tuonne yläpalkkiin ja saat kaikki hymyilemään varmasti :-)

Anonymous said...

Tuulia, toi ilme on ihan loistava! Etusivulle vain! :-D

Ja siis aivan ihania noi purppurat. En tiedä, kumpaa tarkoitit silloin, kun sanoit, että teet ihan mun värisestä langasta, mutta molemmat natsais kyllä meikäläiselle kuin nenä päähän! Olin vähän tuota WOTAn Garnet Heatheria värikartasta katsellutkin, mutta eipä tarvitse enää arpoa, mitä tilais nitpiksistä seuraavan kerran... :-)

Kiva, että olet tervehtynyt, ja huivista tuli hieno! Kauniita sinisiä sait aikaan, ja hyvin toimii tuo kaksivärisyyskin.

Lotta said...

Ihana Icarus! Ihanan väristä sukkalankaa! *kuolaus kuolaus* :)

heidi said...

Voi miten sympaattinen vahinkolaukaus! Ja se antaa kovin kauniin kuvan sinusta, vaikka toisin ajattelitkin.

k2o said...

Oho, siellähän se mun taustakuva olla möllötti. Ite oon nyt XD