Amazing Travels and Beauty in the Morning (Marathon Post)

(Still no knitting. Forgot to block. And photograph.)

Last week, on Thursday to be exact, I turned 30. It didn't feel any different from any other day, except that a friend bought a beautiful wheel and I taught her to spin. To celebrate, I went on a road trip and drove nearly 900 miles, to see friends and knit. A group of 40 knitters met for a weekend of knitting and spinning and yarn and fiber and books and tea and wine and such.
lankaa

I also taught a class on the sweater method. We had fun.
samma

I had fun, and I think the class did too. The picture above of one of our amazing organizers, Samma, was just too hilarious to miss. It was all very cordial, I was nice to everyone.

I swear I was.

In my class, the knitters were fun, smart, amazing artists. I was honored to meet them all. (I loved the Shetland shawl, it looked so warm.)
villasukka

It all required a lot of concentration.
keskittyminen

Their beautiful hands knitted very very fast. And they were all such a joy to watch.
beautiful hands

I am so happy I got to meet my fellow knitters. It was a weekend of sheer joy, I hope there'll be another knitting retreat very soon. (I also may have bought another spinning wheel. More of that later.)

On my travels I also got to meet some animals I had not seen before. Lizards, and some snakes.
boat 4

They were very scary and wild, all 12 inches of them.
boat 2

These Columbian rainbowboas were truly most amazing animals: beautiful, strong, primitive, and an absolute joy to watch.
boat 5

The green iguana did not approve of my photographing him.
seppo 1

But the little ADD lizard did not mind, at all. She was awfully cute!
sylvi 2

Now that I have shocked you with lizards and snakes, let's look at some yarn. These came home with me. Green mystery lace yarn and blue Drops Alpaca adopted from fellow knitters.
d alpaca sin ja mysteerihuivilanka

Burgundy Drops Alpaca. What can I say, I love the yarn. And the color!
drops alpaca burgundy

And then I went crazy. First, just a little.
tapsalta

And the I went completely bonkers.
keltainen isoveli
Yes, I am aware it's yellow. But what a yellow it is! Mustard yellow, in all of the richness of the fall yellow that is only there this time of year! I had to have it. All of it.

Speaking of fall, it's here.
oct 02 morning 2

oct 02 morning 8

frozen mushroom

oct 02 morning 4

oct 02 morning 10

oct 02 morning 6

frozen water on VW

Enjoy your fall days!

16 comments:

Lotta said...

Huippu kyllä toi Samman kuva :D. Mutta taisit vähän kaunistella sitä, että kuinka paljon lankaa lähti mukaan varsinki siitä ilmaislaatikosta...? ;)

san said...

Mä haluun takas retriittiin *murjoti*
Ja liskon.

kramox said...

no voi luoja mitä kuvia. nams!

Tuulia said...

Lotta, itsepetos on kaunis asia.

San, niin mieki!

kramox, sokea kanakin joskus onnistuu, kiireessä aamupakkasessa :D

Celestial said...

Sounds like you had a lovely time. And all that yarn! The Drops Alpaca and Mustard yellow yarn all look so yummy.

And as always, great photos ;)

hiisa said...

Oli kyllä mahtava retriitti ja siun työpaja oli aivan loistava. Sormia polttelee jo aivan vietävästi, että "pääsisi" neulomaan villapaitaa, mutta ensin pitäisi saada muutama työ pois alta.

Barbooch said...

Oooh, what a great time! Love the yarn, love the green February Lady Sweater, love the nature photos! Miss you!!!!!

Barb

Charisa said...

So nice to see a blog entry. Wonderful!

Jane said...

Love Samma's February Lady Sweater and all of that yarn looks delicious! Glad you had fun!

Tiina said...

Olipas ihania kuvia! Teillähän näyttää jo olevan talvikin :o mulla kuumottaa kans aloittaa Ihan Oikea Eka Oma Tailored, varmaan pojalle tai eiku Hilmalle, no molemmat tarttis. Parit pipot ja lapset ja yks takki eka valmiiks... huoh!

Ja kiitos viimeisestä:=)

Annika deGroot said...

Ohhh mustard yellow....ohhh yessss. I am officially jealous. Of everything you do and see.
Happy Belated Birthday! Your mom did such a great job thirty years ago!

Samma said...

Kai mä näytän murjotuskuvassa suht aidolta, koska poika oli heti puhaltamassa ja lohduttamassa, kun näki sen :)
Kiitos vielä pajasta! Ja seurasta muutenkin. Eka metodipaita on jo alulla. Jatkokurssia odotellessa.
Ihania kuvia! Täälläkin on aamuisin ihan kuuraista.

Makepeace75 said...

Mahtavia kuvia! Ja teidän retriitti kuulostaa kyllä niin hienolta.. Ehkä joskus rohkaisen minäkin mieleni. :o)

Päivi said...

Retriitti näytti sinunkin kuvien ja kertomuksen perusteella siltä, että jonain päivänä sinne vielä on uskallettava mukaan :)
Ja nuo ottamasi kuvat ovat ihania. Niin langoista (no eihän noita ny paljoo ole!) kuin luonnostakin.
Ja liskot, on ne vaan metkoja :)

MaryjoO said...

Happy Belated birthday -- many good wishes and thanks for all the joy you bring to us!

creativesoulonravelry said...

Hi!
I'm happy that I found you! I enjoy your blog!