A Skein a Day Keeps the Doctor Away!

The Lair proudly presents: The Heffalump Yarn Collection!

Luolasta punkee lankaa, ylpeänä esittelyssä Möhköfantti Collection.
käsinkehrätty 2

Yes, I spun my second skein. It's what beginner yarn, I'm told, is supposed to look like: lumpy, bumpy, thick and thin, wonderfully uneven "novelty" yarn.

Toinen vyyhti värttinältä, ja tuloksena aitoa aloittelijalankaa: mönttistä ja ohuenohutta "efektilankaa".
käsinkehrätty 2 neulottuna
I can't say I'm proud of it, but it was a good practise. I didn't overtwist this one, and I got some valuable practise on drafting. When I knitted this, it was surprisingly simple to knit, despite the lumps. However, I think the fiber could've used a tighter twist, it is wonderfully soft and created a halo when blocking. The picture above shows the swatch, which is quite even compared to the structure of the yarn.

Spinning felt easier this time, although I still can't say I like the spindle. This is a good second skein in my opinion, but it is quite obvious we have a very long way to go.

En tarkalleen ottaen ole aivan ylpeä tästä, mutta hyvästä harjoituksesta se kävi. Hillitsin kierrettä, joten tämä ei muistuta lankapuhelimen kaapelia, ja sain kuidun vetelynkin käymään verraten tasaisesti. Neulominen oli aika helppoa, vaikka mönttejä olikin. Kuitu olisi ehkä kaivannut vähän enempi kierrettä, koska käytössä se saattaisi nyhjääntyä aika pian. Näytelappusesta tuli aika tasainen verrattuna langan villiin ulkonäköön.

Kehrääminen kävi aika helposti, mutta en vieläkään ole ihastunut värttinään työkaluna. Vyyhti on melko hyvä kakkosvyyhdiksi, mutta selkeästi harjoittelua tarvitaan vielä paljon.

I haven't been madly spinning all weekend, I knitted something, too.

Pelkästään kehruuksi ei Luolan touhut ole menneet, on täällä tikuteltukin.
sunrise vol 2
It's my second Sunrise Circle Jacket. The first one was knitted with KnitPicks Wool of the Andes, and so is the second one. The first time I knitted this pretty cardi, I knitted the yarn to the required gauge and the fabric turned out to be very stretchy and drapey, which is not what you want with the shape of the cardigan. (I had to felt the first version slightly when it stretched horribly in blocking.) I've worn the first one almost to pieces, and I do like the first one a lot, but it's not in a very good shape anymore.

Sunrise Circle Jacketin uusintapainos on puikoilla. Ensimmäinen versio oli KnitPicksin Wool of the Andes -lankaa, ja niin on tämä toinenkin. Ensimmäisellä kerralla toteutin ohjetta kirjaimellisesti, ja neuleesta tuli vötkyläinen ja liian iso. Muuten se ei olisi haitannut, mutta luiruava neulos ei tee oikeutta mallille, joten eka versio kävi kuivurissa tiivistymässä. Sitä on pidetty paljon, vaikka se on edelleen vähän iso, ja se alkaa olla kohta entinen.

This time, I got a much tighter gauge, and the fabric feels very sturdy, yet - this being WotA - very soft. I have to modify this a little, but so far it looks good. (Thank you, mathyjones, for the help with the math!) My favorite part of the cardi is the beginning of the semicircles, when you can see them growing out of the sleeve. I'm hoping to finish this quickly, I can't wait to wear it!

Nyt neuloin tarkoituksella tiivistä, ja neulos näyttäisi olevan napakkaa, mutta silti pehmoista. Etukappaleissa tarvitaan korkeampaa matematiikkaa, mutta onneksi kanssaneuloja auttoi etukappaleiden kanssa. Mie tykkään erityisesti tuosta etukappaleen alusta, kun puoliympyrä alkaa kasvaa kainalosta. Tätä on kiva neuloa, ja tekee mieli tikutella kiireen vilkkaa - mie haluan tämän päälle nopeasti :)

ETA: I subscribe to a blog called Quotes of the Day, and today's quote was an eye-opener:

"Another unsettling element in modern art is that common symptom of immaturity, the dread of doing what has been done before." - Edith Wharton (1862 - 1937).

I better remember this next time I complain about reinventing wheels. There is, in fact, nothing wrong, of discovering what others have discovered before.

It only shows your taste is impeccable, doesn't it? :D

3 comments:

Tui said...

No mutta hyvällehän tuo lanka näyttää! :)

Suvi said...

Kivannäköistä lankaa!
Olen tässä pohtinut tuon jakun neulomista, kauheasti kiinnostaisi kun vaikuttaa just sellaiselta mallilta johon ei tylsisty.

Yarnhog said...

Now you just need a wheel--easier and faster!

The yarn looks lovely, by the way--far better than my early handspun.