New Lessons in Photography

I got my new lens over a week ago, and it is wonderful! (For the camera enthusiasts out there, it's a Canon EF 24-70mm/2.8L USM lens.) So now I have no reason to blame the equipment for the poor quality of pictures - the culprit can be found in the bathroom mirror. The 24-70mm lens is a very, very good lens, but also not a very forgiving one. You make a mistake in the settings, and it shows. This led to some serious navel-gazing and, eventually, I learned a few new tricks. (Such as, "hey, my camera has an 'M' setting - wonder what that is".) But along the way, I rediscovered some old truths.

One, burgundy is a very tricky color to photograph.
bfl silk 2

Also, single-ply yarn is always very, very pretty.
bfl silk 1

And fun to knit with!
bfl silk 3

The fiber is 70% BFL 30% silk, and it was the February club fiber in the Little Bit of Luxury Fiber Club. I managed to squeeze out some 550 yards or 500m out of the 6 oz (150g) of fiber I had. The top was gradation dyed, one end being darker burgundy than the other. But in between there are tiny specs of burgundy, and I didn't pluck them out, which resulted in a slightly striped yarn. I like the result a lot, and hopefully this'll become a nice shawl (the pattern is Gingko).

The second truth I learned was that dark teal is nearly impossible to photograph correctly. I managed to do it though, with serious tweaking of the settings. (These pictures are SOOC, I've only cropped them and added the copyright notice.)

hedda 2

The pattern is the amazingly cute cap/beret pattern Hedda by the incredibly talented designer, Vilma. I used some 200 yards of Aran weight yarn which will be introduced in the Lair in detail a little bit later. I wanted to test how it takes dye and what it is like to knit with, and the results are very nice. The yarn is 100% wool, has a lovely texture to it, and it's quite soft, too. I'm thinking of a cardigan in this lovely yarn (the only thing holding me back is the fact that it requires quite large needles and they make my hands hurt).
hedda 1

I knitted the slouchy version of Hedda, but didn't block it too vigorously and thus got a snug cap. But I don't mind at all, I think it looks quite lovely!
hedda 3

That's all for now! Stay tuned, the etsy shop update is coming up next.

3 comments:

enkulin käsityöt said...

Kuola valuu tuon langan vuoksi, Kaunis neule.

Vilma said...

Heeei, mä olen nyt ihan punainen muutenkin kuin hiusten puolelta, KIITOS! <3 Arvostan sun kehuja kovasti, kiitos paljon. Ja kiitti vielä siitä virheen bongaamisestakin...

Nättiä kuvaa pukkaa, ja kauniista langasta. Sie se osaat ihan kaikkea.

Lolly said...

This is my FAVORITE lens! I use it for almost every photo I take. You will just love it more and more with each photo! These are lovely photos here. Hugs to you, Tuulia~~